HR lessons from daily life

It is funny how your daily life makes you face certain situations that teach you a lesson for life. This was an experience I had at the beginning of my 2nd year.

The Beyond Management team of our college has taken the responsibility of organising guest lectures for the students every Thursday. They invite industry experts who share their experiences with us and also help us keep up to date with the happenings in various industries.

As a custom, the juniors always occupied the first half of the audi and the seniors the second half. It was assumed that as we are in 2nd year now, we would be at the receiving end and would have the privilege of occupying the last few rows (it gave us a chance to fool around a little if we dint find the lecturer interesting without offending anyone). But things did not turn out that way. The same rules were not applied this year. Everyone had the liberty to occupy which ever seat they wanted and the last rows were always the first to be occupied. Don’t take this wrong but come on, this is the normal student tendency. Unfortunately we were usually the last ones to enter and ended up seating ourselves in the first few rows. Some how I was unable to accept this fact that the juniors were not forced to take the first rows anymore. I started developing distaste for the guest lecture because every time I attended one, I felt that we were wronged. I expressed my concern with a friend heading BM. It was of no use since he was stuck up with his own managing and leadership principles.

This incident got me pondering…. I asked myself if I really had a problem with guest lectures and realised that the problem was not that at all. The problem was a little deeper. It had more to do with the psychology of the concerned person. Since I had taken things for granted, I guess I could not digest the new facts and ended up protesting which was rather silly of me.

Lesson Learnt: Well the HR lesson learnt from this entire experience was that how a change in management or leadership can and does affect the employees of an organisation. Different leaders have their own management styles which actually decide the culture and value system of the organisation. It is very important that the leaders and the employees share a common value system and culture otherwise it leads to clashes. If it is not that way then the new leader has to take the onus to make the employees believe in his values. However, there is some responsibility on the part of the employees as well. They should be flexible and should be ready to accept and adapt themselves to changes the moment there is a change in leadership because in the end it is the coordinated efforts of the two that will bring results.

In this case,management style of the earlier leader(our senior) differed from that of the present one. However,the moment I came out of denial mode, I could see and perceive things in a better and different way.

Kudos to the BM team for the good job they do round the year.

Comments

  1. Hey good one! Good that atleast someone has come of the denial mode. Sometimes life is best viewed from a bird's view to appreciate the things happening around, thoough they might not have any impact in the near future.I am glad you are on that track.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Punjabi Culture and Management

Never Stop LEARNING!!!!!!!!!!

2 States by Chetan Bhagat